Saturday, August 10, 2013

Day 15 Bush Camp to Nullarbor 76 kms

Everyone seems to have slept well and they all seemed to have slept through Collis' antics overnight. Mark, who was sleeping closest to the road stated he thought he had heard footsteps during the night also but didn't investigate. Nothing seems to be missing and I think the noises I heard could have been made by animals as well as humans. I thought we may have had camels in the camp but there was no evidence of any large visitors. The campfire was still smoldering this morning and was easy to restart. Last night was our last bush camp for the whole trip and I was feeling a little depressed by that thought. Why, I'm not sure as they are alot of work for me, in particular due to the cooking, but it just brings the end to the trip so much closer. On the other hand I was able to pack away the dutch ovens and think I don't have to clean these again in a long time. Cleaning up today seemed to take longer than usual but we still beat the riders to morning tea.
After John doing the disappearing act on us yesterday, I decided to have one of his favorite morning teas today. So we had date loaf and an apricot loaf with sweet biscuits and savory mix. Leisurely ride today with the riders having mostly a tailwind, warmer weather and little side trips down to the cliffs to look for whales. We were all into camp by 12.30am. John met the van with his head hanging. He apologized to Collis and that was the end of it. I don't think he will do that again without first letting us know his plans. It was like losing a child (for me) especially after the weirdo action in the last couple of days. I have a vivid imagination and of course I was thinking the worst.
Great to have a hot shower and change of clothing. The Nullarbor Roadhouse is very expensive and another facility to charge $1 per shower (Eucla was the same) and $40 for a mixed grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment